News

Second Museum House Saved

By Debra B. Sloan, RBHY historical researcher and advisory board member

The National Register Home of Reverend Ned P. Pullum has been purchased by the Rutherford B.H. Yates Museum, Inc. through generous grants from Houston Endowment, Clare Fleming Sprunt, and pro-bono legal services provided by Marvin Nathan and J.B. Cirensione . The historic Pullum house is located at 1319 Andrews in the National Historic District of Freedmen’s Town, and has recently received a National Historic Places plaque from the Texas Historical Commission.

Pullum paid $1000.00 for the site of his six-room home. The home was built between 1898 and the early 1900’s, and suggests a Colonial Revival style with an older Victorian flair. The home has an L-shaped design and features a wrap-around front porch, metal finials on the roof, gingerbread millwork, Doric porch columns, and bay windows. 

A previous owner of the home during the 1930's and 1940's, remembered that the doors inside the house had transoms with Tiffany style leaded glass windows, a sliding door between the living area and dining room, and a fireplace.

According to the 1900 Harris County census, Ned P. Pullum was born in Pickensville, Alabama in 1862. He came to Texas in 1895 and pastored at Antioch Baptist Church in Beaumont, Bethel Baptist Church, and Friendship Baptist Church in Freedmen’s Town. He was the proprietor of two businesses: People’s Pride Shoe Repair and Pullum Brick Yards. He also acquired several properties in Freedmen’s Town that were very profitable. He died in 1927 from acute indigestion leaving behind his wife, Emma, son, Edward and daughter, Mary.

The contributions of leaders, businessmen and area professionals such as Rev. Ned Pullum added to the educational fabric of Freedmen’s Town - the only remaining former slave and freedmen's community in the United States.

The R.B.H. Yates Museum is dedicated to preservation of the cultural history, brick streets, archaeology, and architecture of the early residents of Freedmen’s Town.

Debra B. Sloan, all rights reserved, with thanks to consulting historians Mrs. Willie Lee Gay and Mrs. Vivian Seals.